POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday April 12, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Darcy Miller, Dave Tessmer, Matt Shappell, Joni DeYoung, and Meghan Visger. Board Member Linda Ross was unable to attend. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests in Attendance - None
Public Comments - None
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Shappell, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from March 8, 2022 Meeting - A motion to adopt the March meeting minutes as corrected was made by Visger, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report (Presented by Director Bailey) - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,682.24 as of March 31, 2022. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $1,925.44 as of March 31, 2022.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget. Board Member Tessmer noted the increased cost of gas and electric. Director Bailey noted there was an increase in revenue, so we are still on track with the 2022 budget.
Director’s Report - In March the library received a Certificate of Commendation from Governor Tony Evers for its service to our state. Director Bailey received the ALA-ARP grant funds and began making approved purchases within the grant guidelines. The library hosted local author, Jeff Nania, on March 31st and experienced a large community turn-out. Two volunteers from the Friends of the Poynette Library delivered books to support our Pioneer Place community outreach. Kelly Anderson hosted several Adult programs and Katy Hanousek’s StoryTimes continue to be well attended. The staff attended several webinars, classes, and meetings throughout the month.
Village of Poynette Meeting Update - Board Member DeYoung shared that on March 28th the Village voted to discontinue charging a fee for food trucks. On April 11th they discussed the possibility of solar panels on the Library and Village Hall. The ATV/UTV ordinance passed, but routes will not be open until Columbia County approves the signage. The Village recently hired a Director of Recreation and Community Engagement. Shamus O’Reilly will begin his new position on Monday, April 18th. There is one vacancy on the Village Board that will be voted upon at their next meeting.
Friends of the Library Report - Director Bailey will coordinate the Friends upcoming “Book/DVD Sale” held on the sidewalk in front of the children’s library during the Poynette Village-wide garage sale days (May 12-14). Bailey will host a table at this season’s Farmers Market to promote new Launchpads, library materials and upcoming events, beginning Sat., May 7th. Director Bailey’s office desk is broken. (It was formerly our old circulation desk.) Bailey is considering options for a replacement and appreciates the Friends’ generous support. The Friends will sponsor the PAGA flower pot on Main Street and purchase flowers for the three pots in the pergola near the rear entrance.
1. Discuss/Approval of Vouchers for Library - Shappell made a motion to accept the vouchers as presented, seconded by Tessmer; Motion carried.
2. Observance of National Library Week: April 4-9, 2022 - To celebrate National Library Week there was a “Year-in-Review” video (created by Katy), a coloring contest (sponsored by Poynette/Arlington BP), cookies for patrons, and library staff hosted our initial “Launchpad Café” event. Patrons often show appreciation of our friendly, hard-working library staff, especially during this special April celebration.
3. Observance of National Volunteers Week: April 18-23, 2022 - Director Bailey ordered gifts and staff signed “Thank You” cards which were presented to our wonderful Library volunteers.
4. Discuss/consider a new desk in Library Office - Director Bailey tabled this topic for the May 3rd Friends meeting.
5. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on May 10, 2022 - Business Agenda item 1 will carry over, policy review, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - The meeting adjourned at 6:33 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.