POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, April 13, 2021, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:07 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Jason Koopmans, Steve Mueller, Darcy Miller, Linda Ross, and Meghan Visger. Matt Shappell attended virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present. Board Members Ashley Zembrycki and Dave Tessmer were unable to attend.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - No Guests in attendance.
Public Comments - None.
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Mueller; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from March 9, 2021 Meeting - A motion to adopt the March meeting minutes as presented with the adjustment of the date corrections was made by Ross, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown
Bank has a balance of $4,341.99 as of March 31, 2021. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of
$1,922.37 as of March 31, 2021.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget. There were no comments on the budget.
Director’s Report - Director Bailey was notified that the library was chosen to receive a $3,000 American
Library Association (ALA) grant to be used to enhance the outdoor area behind the library. High Country
Electric completed the installation of the LED replacement blubs in the main library. The library celebrated Read Across America Day/ Dr. Seuss’ Birthday, Aldo Leopold Week, and participated in a virtual program called “Let’s Get Green and Growing 2021.” Katy Hanousek created STEAM Take & Make kits for 42 children. The Friends of the Library purchased the books for these kits. Director Bailey met with the Friends of the Library, the Village Management team, and attended a monthly one-on-one meeting with the Village Administrator. She also attended an ADA compliance webinar, conducted a quarterly staff meeting, attended a virtual SCLS All Director meeting, and the Poynette Village Board meeting. All staff continues to complete phishing/computer safety training modules required by SCLS. Hanousek attended a virtual SCLS Youth Services meeting.
Village Meeting Update - Board Member, Steve Mueller, shared that the Village Administrator, Martin
Shanks, was stepping down. Mueller will be replaced by a new member from the Poynette Village Board.
Friends of the Library Report - The Friends of the Library paid for a new custom bookshelf to be made and installed in the children’s area. Travis Cox, owner of Majestic Oaks Fine Woodworking, designed the gorgeous custom bookshelf that covers the pass-through window/countertop. Travis graciously donated $500 off the cost of the project since his family members are avid library patrons. At the next meeting, the Friends will be discussing how they can help with improving the new outdoor area.
1. Discuss/Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the February vouchers was made by Shappell, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
2. Observance of National Library Week April 5-9 – Katy designed a highlight video, coloring contest, guessing game, shared cookies (from Chris & Lori’s Bakehouse) and a FaceBook Mystery game were all part of the fun that week. Library staff is planning some in-person events beginning in Summer.
3. Discuss/Consider Strategic Plan Committee for 2022-2027 Update - The survey was given to patrons beginning April 1st. The Hometown Shopper & Poynette Press both had an advertisement along with a survey insert and QR code linked to the survey. The survey can also be accessed through the library’s website. Several surveys have already been turned in. Data will be collected through May 15th. The next Strategic Planning Committee meeting is Tuesday, May 27th where they will begin to review the data.
4. Discuss/Consider 2021 Library Board appointments and the election of Library Board Secretary –
Visger was elected Secretary of the Poynette Public Library Board. Director Bailey notified Sue Moll (Columbia Co. Clerk) that Miller, Visger, and Ross would like to be re-appointed. Moll told Bailey that Miller had assumed the remainder of Caryn Stone’s term and will be elected for a whole new term. This will be discussed at the County level and Moll will notify Bailey when more information becomes available.
5. Discuss /review (draft) Circulation Policy - Director Bailey is in the process of updating the
Circulation Policy. She reviewed the Wisconsin standards along with other local libraries’ policies.
6. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on May 11, 2021 - Business Agenda items 1, 3, 4, and 5, will carry over, ALA Grant will be added, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 6:42 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.