POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 6:00pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call – The meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. by Vice President Jason Koopmans. Attending the meeting were Board Members Kelly Palmer, Jason Koopmans, Terri Fiore, Linda Ross, and Caryn Stone. New Board Member Ashley Zembrycki arrived late due to confusion over start time of meeting. Director Lindsey Ganz was also present. Jeanne Mutchler and Matt Shappell were not present.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Introduction of guest(s) – None.
Public Comments - None
Adoption of Agenda – A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Palmer; Motion Carried.
Approval of Minutes from July 10, 2018 - A motion to adopt the July Meeting Minutes made by Fiore, seconded by Palmer; Motion Carried.
Trustee Training – Caryn Stone presented the evening’s Trustee Training on the “Biggest, Baddest Issues” facing community libraries. While funding, advocacy, and relevancy are important; service and engagement are really more important. A welcoming space and knowledgeable, friendly staff are critical to the overall function of a library. Trustees are the foundation for the library but a strategic plan is necessary to enable a smooth review of the function of library staff, space and its role in the community. A self-evaluation for trustees is available at compasspoint.org/board-café/self-assessment-board.
Treasurer’s Report – The balance in the Library checking account was $2,108.91 as of July 1, 2018 and the SCLS Foundation account balance was $1478.68 as of June 30, 2018.
Current Budget Review – Director Ganz reviewed the budget which is on track as presented. The plan is to purchase books fairly soon so they can be received and paid for by the end of the year. A few replacement computers are needed and will be purchased shortly.
Director’s Report – Director Ganz presented her Report electronically and there was additional discussion about going further electronically to reduce our reliance on paper documents.
Updates on Village Meetings – Teri Fiore updated the Board on the Village capital projects and that the Village had denied funding for the proposed housing development on the north side of the Village; she also reported that Matt Shappell presented information on the proposed school referendum.
Friends of the Library Report – The Friends are providing a $3,000 book budget and plan to provide food for the guest author who will be speaking about her book and the Packers’ 100th Anniversary year.
Budget Committee Report – Director Ganz went over the draft budget with the caution that some information is not available yet.
- Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the July vouchers was made by Ross, seconded by Fiore; Motion Carried.
- Approval of continuing education course for the Director – Stone made a motion to approve; seconded by Koopmans. Motion Carried
- Convene into closed session per WI Statute 19.85(1)(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance data pf any public employee over which the government body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility – The motion to adjourn into closed session was made by Koopmans, seconded by Palmer. A Roll Call was taken, Motion Carried with 6 Ayes, 0 Nays.
- Return to Open Session - The motion was made by Ross, seconded by Palmer; Motion Carried
- Discuss/ consider 2019 Budget Draft – The Board directed Director Ganz to prepare the Budget for Village review with the mid-option for pay raises included.
- Discuss Agenda items for next meeting on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 – Done, with suggestions given to Director Ganz and with Board Member Koopmans doing more research on going paperless.
Adjournment – Meeting adjourned at 7:55 P.M.
Respectively submitted by Caryn Stone.