POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, August 9, 2022, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:02 PM by President Jason Koopmans. Attending the meeting were Board Members Linda Ross, Darcy Miller, Joni DeYoung, Matt Shappell, and Meghan Visger. Dave Tessmer attended virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - None
Public Comments - None
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from July 12, 2022 Meeting - A motion to adopt the July meeting minutes as presented was made by Shappell, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,847.89 as of July 29, 2022. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $1,698.59 as of June 30, 2022.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget.
Director’s Report - The Summer Reading Program ended July 31st and exceeded our past five years’ totals with 364 participants. New furniture for the staff office was generously purchased with a Friends of the Poynette Library donation. Two volunteers from the Friends of the Poynette Library delivered books to support our Pioneer Place community outreach. The staff attended several webinars, classes, and meetings throughout the month for planning purposes, continuing education, safety training, and community involvement.
Village of Poynette Meeting Update - Board Member DeYoung shared the Village Board discussed the fire and EMS budget. The EMS is planning some community events. A committee was formed for the TID and TIF planning.
Friends of the Library Report - Director Bailey shared the Friends did not have a July meeting.
1. Approval of Vouchers for Library - Shappell made a motion to accept the vouchers as presented, seconded by DeYoung; Motion carried.
2. Solar Committee Update - Director Bailey and Trustee Tessmer met with two patrons who would like to be part of the Solar Committee. Information was shared from a solar convention that one patron had attended. The vendor, Full Spectrum Solar, would charge a fee for an on-site assessment. There is a solar grant that opens in September that Director Bailey plans to apply for. The Board discussed first seeking Village approval and eventually, hosting a capital campaign to encourage public awareness/education on how solar would help save taxpayer funds. Having an on-site assessment to see if this is a feasible project for the library building is the first step in this process. Director Bailey will contact the Village, General Engineering and Full Spectrum Solar before the next Solar Committee meeting.
3. 2023 Budget Committee Update- President Koopmans shared that the Committee met on August 9. The budget is awaiting County and Village contributions, but the preliminary [draft] budget was reviewed and discussed. The Committee will meet again on September 13 to provide a recommendation to the Library Board.
4. Trustee Training: August 22-26, 2022 - Miller volunteered to attend Trustee Training in August on “Making Sense and Cents of Library Building Projects.”
5. Discuss Agenda Items for the Next Meeting on September 13, 2022 - Business Agenda items 1, 2, 3, and 4 will carry over, update on Launchpad usage, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - The meeting adjourned at 6:43 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger, Secretary.