POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, December 14, 2021, at 5:30 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 5:43 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Jason Koopmans, Dave Tessmer, Darcy Miller, Linda Ross, and Meghan Visger. Board Members Joni DeYoung and Matt Shappell attended virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - None
Public Comments - None
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from November 9, 2021 Meeting - A motion to adopt the November meeting minutes was made by Ross, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,481.59 as of November 30, 2021. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $2,020.02 as of November 30, 2021.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget. There were no questions from Trustees.
Director’s Report - The Friends of the Poynette Library’s Silent Auction fundraiser was a huge success. There were 99 baskets to bid on. The library accepted donations for the PAD Food Pantry during the month of November. The library is currently accepting “Penny Jar” patron donations for the Poynette Police Department’s Shop-with-a-Cop program. Jodi, Kelly, and Katy attended several meetings and webinars throughout the month. Dave Tessmer noted the many meetings Director Bailey attends each month. He suggested Board Members might be available to attend meetings if Director Bailey ever required assistance. The library conducted a Facebook Bingo contest and delivered books to Pioneer Place as part of community outreach programming.
Village of Poynette Meeting Update - Director Bailey shared that a new police officer was sworn in and the new ATV/UTV ordinance was passed. The next Village Board meeting will be held on January 11th.
Friends of the Library Report - No December meeting was held. Their next meeting is January 4th at 6:00 PM.
Wisc. Dept. of Public Instruction Public Library Director Grade II Certification Requirements Completed (December 2021) - Director Bailey began taking her first Director course in the Fall of 2019 through the iSchool at UW-Madison. She shared that all four of the courses have been very useful and relevant to her Director position. She enjoyed the opportunity for collaboration and networking with other class participants. Congratulations was extended to Director Bailey from the Poynette Library Board of Trustees.
1. Discuss/Approval of Vouchers for Library - The Wisconsin State Journal Newspaper was removed from this month’s vouchers. Director Bailey used a coupon that saved over $100, but required the subscription renewal be charged to the library’s Visa card. A motion to approve the November vouchers with the one noted correction was made by Koopmans, seconded by Tessmer; Motion carried.
2. Discuss/consider Library Solar Project - There will be a Village-wide needs assessment conducted in 2022. After this assessment is complete, Director Bailey and the Library Board will collaborate with the Village (who owns the library building) before proceeding with the purchase of solar panels to increase energy efficiency.
3. Discuss/consider Bookmobile for Future Library Outreach - Director Bailey is creating a potential Bookmobile “schedule” with library staff and community input. The 2022-2027 Strategic Plan includes the consideration of purchasing a Bookmobile to further consistent community outreach services. In 2022, the Bookmobile subcommittee will begin meeting regularly.
4. Discuss Strategic Plan Update 2022-2027- The Plan flyer has been updated and is ready for distribution.
5. Discuss/consider Village Property Business Rental Agreement draft proposal – Director Bailey created a document for the Village Attorney’s review. Attorney Chris Hughes created a Sublease Agreement. Ross brought up concerns about others having access to the building. Shawntel has offered to have the locks changed so she only has access to the basement. Tessmer asked about the rate. Director Bailey proposed that the rental fee received would be deposited in a separate account at the Village and will offset the library’s sewer and water costs. Director Bailey will include the Sublease Agreement in the Poynette Village Board packet for their Jan. 10th meeting. Shappell suggested Director Bailey create a new library policy that clearly outlines this process. He also suggested that verbiage about the locks should be added to the Sublease Agreement. Shappell raised a good discussion point: is the renter required to have the locks changed when the lease agreement changes? Ross noted this will be setting a precedent. Village Attorney Hughes and Director Bailey will continue to refine the Sublease Agreement and create a new library Storage Space Rental Policy.
6. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on January 11, 2022 - Business Agenda items 1, 3, and 5 will carry over, Tessmer will provide a Trustee Training report, discuss / confirm 2022 Trustee terms, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - The meeting adjourned at 6:35 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.