POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, June 8, 2021, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:05 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Jason Koopmans, Darcy Miller, Linda Ross, and Meghan
Visger. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present. Board Members Joni DeYoung, Dave Tessmer, and
Matt Shappell were unable to attend.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - No guests in attendance.
Public Comments - No comments.
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Miller, seconded by Ross; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from May 11, 2021 Meeting - A motion to adopt the May meeting minutes with date correction as presented was made by Ross, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown
Bank has a balance of $4,328.59 as of May 28, 2021. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of
$1,978.62 as of April 30, 2021. The most recent statement from this account has not come in yet.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget and noted an error under operating supplies. There were no other comments on the budget.
Director’s Report - Saturday, June 5th was the library’s first Saturday to be open again and there were 12 patrons. The Summer Reading Program started on Monday and there are 190 people signed up to participate. The Friends of the Poynette Library sponsored a Book Sale on May 15th. The proceeds were used for additional flowers in the “Poynette Naturally” outdoor area pots. The Friends also purchased a pergola to enhance the area behind the library for community use. The Strategic Plan Committee met on Wednesday, May 26th for the first of two-in person public meetings to discuss survey data and learn how we can better serve our community. Kelly Anderson taught the staff how to use the new LinkCat app during this month’s staff meeting. There were 5 Curbside pick-up appointments in May. Katy Hanousek has been busy getting reading for the Summer Reading Program. She also created 30 “Floral Take & Make” kits for participants who pre-registered. Director Bailey virtually attended an SCLS Audio Book Circuit meeting, ALA grant webinar, weeding the collection webinar, SCLS All-Director meeting, a Columbia County Director meeting, and a DPI broadband meeting. She volunteered at the Friends Book Sale. She also hosted the Chamber of Commerce meeting in the new outdoor area and collaborated with the Friends of the Library to purchase pots, soil, and plants for the new outdoor area. All staff continues to complete phishing/computer safety training modules required by SCLS.
Village Meeting Update - Director Bailey shared that the Village is still in the process of interviewing and hiring a Village Administrator.
Friends of the Library Report - The beautiful pergola structure that the Friends of the Library purchased has been installed in the outdoor area. They are planning on holding a presentation on acupuncture and acupressure following their next meeting on Tuesday, August 3rd.
1. Discuss/Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the May vouchers as presented was made by Visger, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
2. Discuss Strategic Plan Town Hall Meetings - There were 10 patrons that attended the Town Hall meeting on May 26th at 7:00. The conversation and engagement were very good. We were able to capture a lot of ideas. The next Town Hall meeting will be on June 10th at 1:00. Then the committee will be meeting again in July to begin creating the 2022-2027 Strategic Plan.
3. Discuss Library Board Re-appointments - The Board discussed filling the open Board Member seat vacated by A. Zembrycki. Director Bailey contacted SCLS for their input on filling the vacant Board Member position, since we will have one less Columbia County appointee in January.
4. ALA $3,000 Grant: Update on Outdoor Area - The outdoor area now has tables, chairs, benches and a pergola. Director Bailey plans to have Kaitlyn Heinz complete a small mural above the bike rack. Director Bailey plans to meet with High Country Electric to possibly add electricity to the pergola at a later time.
5. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on July 13, 2021 - Business Agenda items 1, 2, and 4, will carry over, select a budget committee and Trustee Training will be added, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 6:51 PM
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger, Secretary