Minutes, June 9, 2020


Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 6:00pm

Poynette Area Public Library



Call to Order and Roll Call – The meeting was called to order at 6:02 P.M. by President Jason Koopmans.  Due to the “Safer At Home” restrictions, Board Members Koopmans, Ross, Visger, Shappell, and Zembrycki were attending via Zoom.  Attending the meeting in person were Board Members Mutchler, Mueller, Tessmer and Stone. Library Director Jodi Bailey was present. 


Certification of Proper Notice –Yes


Guests are Welcome to Attend (please contact the library for more information) – None


Public Comments – None


Adoption of Agenda – Motion to adopt the agenda by Ross, seconded by Visger: Motion Carried.


Approval of Minutes from May 12, 2020 Meeting –Motion to approve the Minutes from May 12, 2020 Meeting by Ross, seconded by Shappell: Motion Carried


Treasurer’s Report – The Hometown Bank Account has a balance of $4,575.90 (as of May 31, 2020) and the SCLS Foundation balance (as of April 30, 2020) is $1,577.23.   


Current Budget Review –Director Bailey presented the budget, there were no questions or comments.


Director’s Report – As attached and reviewed by Director Bailey. Highlights: Far fewer carpet squares had to be repaired than had initially been estimated.  The work has been completed.  The American Legion is no longer hosting the Poynette Family Fun Fest.  They donated half of the remaining funds to the Library.  Library staff is planning to host the Poynette School District’s Individual Reading Program beginning in July. 


Trustee Training for May: Meghan Visger – Her training was on “Developing Essential Library Policies” and she provided a handout.  She noted that Wisconsin Statutes establish library policies and that all policies should be available to the public.  PAPL policies are on the Library’s website as well as on-site, in the office.


Village Meeting held May 26th: Update by Mueller –The Village amended their Covid-19 policies and will open effective Friday.  They also have resumed taking reservations for the park shelters.  Mueller also confirmed that any lighting upgrades made to the Library building will have to come out of the Library’s budget. He will follow-up with Alliant Energy to see if there are any grants available to help with the expense.


Friends of the Library Meeting: None Scheduled in June.




Discuss/Approval of vouchers for Library – Motion to approve the vouchers as presented by Mutchler; seconded by Mueller: Motion Carried.

Discuss/consider updating Emergency Closure Policy Appendix A – Director Bailey reported that there were no additional changes to the document since it was presented at the May meeting.  Appendix A is posted on the Library’s website with the policies.  

Welcome incoming Board of Trustee member David Tessmer – President Koopmans welcomed Mr. Tessmer and asked if he would like to say anything.  Mr. Tessmer said that he was happy to be here.  He has always liked libraries and feels they are an important part of a community.  He feels they bring energy into the community. 

Recognition/appreciation to Jeanne Mutchler for her years of dedicated Board service – President Koopmans thanked Mrs. Jeanne Mutchler on behalf of the entire Board.

Director - Discuss staged approached proposed: update Library lighting with LED fixtures - Director Bailey provided handouts regarding upgrading the lighting and possible savings.  It is not budgeted to do all of the zones in 2020, so the suggestion was made that the office be done first.  The staff frequently complains of headaches due to the office lighting.  Currently there are four lights but only two are needed.  Director Bailey is looking into the possibility of grants.  The plan would be to retrofit the base units that are currently in place.  The bulbs and ballast would be removed and energy efficient LED bulbs installed.  Mueller feels the work can be done for less than the General Engineering Company (GEC) estimate.  He volunteered to check with Alliant and some local contractors to see if they can help out.   He will collect more information, get three bids to Director Bailey and share the information with Board at the July meeting.

Director – discuss proposed Library Re-Opening Staff Schedule & DPI Reopening Guide – Director Bailey meets frequently with staff and other libraries on the safest way to re-open.  Some staff still prefer not to be face-to-face with patrons.  She provided a handout from DPI – “Wisconsin Public Libraries Reopening Guide At-A-Glance” and a chart showing proposed staffing for our Library’s reopening.  Saturdays have been very slow, the last three Saturdays there have been no pickups so the recommendation is to not be open on Saturdays.  DPI encourages libraries to do what works for them at the local level.   Staff is excited to be back assisting patrons; sneeze shields are up; most of the furniture has been moved and the teen area is closed.  So far there have been no issues at other open libraries with too many patrons at a time.

Discuss new Columbia County Board Appointee (Stone stepping down) – a replacement member has not yet been confirmed; Director Bailey will continue to advertise, she does have one lead.  Treasurer Stone, new Treasurer Ross and Director Bailey will meet at Hometown Bank to update the paperwork for the Library’s checking account.

Discuss Agenda items for next meeting on Tuesday, July 14, 2020 – Items 1, 5, and 6 and any other issue that may arise.


Adjournment at   7:02 PM