POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 6:00pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:03 P.M. by President Jeanne Mutchler. Attending the meeting were Board Members Jeanne Mutchler, Jason Koopmans, Caryn Stone, Kelly Palmer, Linda Ross, and Ashley Zembrycki. Absent were Matt Shappell and Doug Avery (replacement from Village Board, Teri Fiori is retiring from the Poynette Library Board). Director Lindsey Ganz was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice – Yes
Introduction of guest(s) - None
Public Comments - None
Adoption of Agenda – Motion to adopt the agenda by Ross, seconded by Palmer. Motion Carried
Approval of Minutes from February 19, 2019 – Motion to approve February Board Meeting Minutes by Mutchler, seconded by Zembrycki. Motion Carried
Trustee Training – Ashley Zembrycki presented on freedom of expression within libraries. It is important to make sure that libraries educate the public with freedom of expression. It is important to our culture and helps to protect intellectual freedom. Libraries should be able to present all clients with full range of ideas and enable that public to stay informed on current needs/problems affecting libraries. A Citizen Board should govern the library. Libraries need an internet policy which helps staff and clients to be more informed. Transparency in all policies are less likely to be challenged.
Treasurer’s Report – The Library Account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $2,363.74. SCLS Foundation balance is $1,566.03.
Current Budget Review – No questions on budget.
Director’s Report – Attached. Highlights of the Director’s Report include: Lindsey reported that we have been approved for an award for new access equipment. There is a leak in reading room, Lindsey has a bucket out and the Village has been informed. There are no new computer stats. Circulation is lower, probably because of 9 closed days throughout January and February due to the weather. Babysitting workshop will be on April 13. Some delays in delivery because of bad weather.
Updates on Village Meetings – Terri Fiori has been replaced by Doug Avery who was unable to attend tonight’s meeting, so no report.
Friends of the Library Report – Michael Edmonds will be speaking on April 8, 2019 at the Friends annual meeting. He has written for Historical Society. The Friends donated $4,000 for teen and children’s books. The work on updating collections is going well. The Reading Buddies Program is also going well.
- Approval of vouchers for Library – Motion to approve vouchers as presented was made by Mutchler, seconded by Koopmans. Motion Carried
- Approval to authorize SCLS to bill for adjacent county payments - Motion by Mutchler to authorize SCLS to bill other entities, seconded by Ross. Motion Carried
- Discuss/ consider updates to monthly action calendar – Calendar reviewed.
- Discuss/ consider Electronic & Information Systems Policy – On Policy, Event = date of termination.Follow recommendations from State Historical Society.Lindsey will incorporate chart into text within the report.
- Discuss Agenda items for next meeting on Tuesday, April 9, 2019 – 1, 4, closed session, 5.Evaluations should be turned in by March 31st.Jeanne will not be here.
Adjournment at 7:00 P.M.
Respectfully submitted: Caryn Stone