POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, May 11, 2021, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Jason Koopmans, Dave Tessmer, Linda Ross, Joni DeYoung,
Matt Shappell, and Meghan Visger. Darcy Miller was attending virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present. Board Member Ashley Zembrycki was unable to attend. Joni DeYoung, the new Village Board Appointee, was introduced to the group.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - No Guests in attendance.
Public Comments - No comments.
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Tessmer; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from April 13, 2021 Meeting - A motion to adopt the April meeting minutes as presented was made by Ross, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,359.69 as of April 30, 2021. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $1,978.62 as of April 30, 2021.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget. There were no comments on the budget.
Director’s Report - The Poynette Library received a $3,000 grant from the American Library Association (ALA) in May. Director Bailey wrote an article which was published in the Poynette Press and took an e-course required by the grant guidelines. She met with the Friends of the Poynette Library and made plans to enhance the outdoor area behind the library, utilizing the grant and other funds. Katy Hanousek provided “Book Bundles” to St. Peter’s Daycare and continued to update the Storytime on the Go bundles, Story Windows program, along with the library website and Facebook page. The library celebrated National Library Week April 5-9, which included a coloring contest, guessing contest, Facebook mystery contest, cookie giveaway, and an online video compilation of the library’s recent updates. On April 22nd, the library participated in a virtual educational program about effigy mounds in Wisconsin called “Spirits of Earth.” The library staff attended several virtual and in-person meetings along with virtual trainings throughout the month.
Village Meeting Update - Board Member, Joni DeYoung, shared that the Board Meeting was short due to the absence of a Village Administrator. Due to this, there will be limited action for the next month or two.
Friends of the Library Report - On Saturday, May 15th the Friends of the Library are hosting a “Trailer Full of Books” sale. A trailer full of books have been donated for this sale. The money earned will be donated to the Friends of the Library. They are hoping to put the money towards a pergola structure for the new outdoor area.
1. Discuss/Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the April vouchers as presented was made by Shappell, seconded by Koopmans; motion carried.
2. Discuss Strategic Plan Town Hall Meetings - The Town Hall meetings will be held on May 26th and June 10th. The committee is hoping to have the meetings in the outdoor area. They will use the survey data to help guide the discussions to develop a new strategic plan.
3. Discuss Library Board Re-appointments - Sue Moll, the Columbia County Clerk, shared that we are on the agenda for re-appointments. Ashley Zembrycki sent an email notifying the board of her resignation.
4. Discuss/consider updated Circulation Policy - The Circulation Policy has been updated. Ross made a motion to approve the Poynette Area Public Library Circulation Policy, Miller seconded; motion carried.
5. ALA $3,000 Grant: Update on Outdoor Area - Director Bailey shared that the Friends of the Library have been discussing purchasing a 14 X 12 steel pergola for the new outdoor area. The Poynette Area Gardeners Association will assist in planting the 3 planters in this area. This summer, Director Bailey will be meeting with Kaitlyn Heinz (PHS Art teacher) to plan a mural for the outdoor area.
6. Library Hours to include Saturdays beginning June 5th (9:30 AM-Noon) - Many responses on the survey inquired about opening on Saturdays again. Director Bailey discussed this with her employees and they were all in favor. Saturday hours will begin on June 5th from 9:30-Noon.
7. Trustee Training Dates: August 23-27, 2021 - As Library Board Trustees, we are required to do at least two trainings per year. Miller offered to complete the next Trustee Training possibly at our June or July Board meeting.
8. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on June 8, 2021 - Business Agenda items 1, 2, 3, and 5, will carry over, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 7:11 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.