POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, November 10, 2020, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM by President Jason Koopmans. Attending the meeting were Board Members Steve Mueller, Jason Koopmans, Linda Ross, Darcy Miller, Ashley Zembrycki, and Meghan Visger. David Tessmer attending virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present. Board Member Matt Shappell was unable to attend.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - No Guests in attendance.
Public Comments - No comments.
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from October 13, 2020 Meeting - A motion to adopt the October meeting minutes was made by Mueller, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Trustee Training - No Trustee Training for November.
Treasure’s Report Presented by L. Ross - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,458.00 as of October 30, 2020. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $1,728.41 as of October 31, 2020.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget. Bailey noted that carpets were cleaned this month. Koopmans commented that the budget and expenditures appeared to be on track.
Director’s Report - Mr. Falk has been working on the grading in the back of the building. The paving will be next. Furniture for the outdoor area was purchased with funds to be reimbursed by the Village’s “Routes to Recovery” grant. Director Bailey is currently working with General Engineering on the American Library Association (ALA) grant “Libraries Transforming Communities” in hopes to obtain some funding toward improvement of the outdoor area. The library continued offering Curbside Service in October. Katy Hanousek created more great Fall programs: Trinkets & Treats for Halloween Week (Oct. 26-30) = 72 participants; Story Windows (beginning Oct. 26). The Community Scavenger Hunt began November 2nd and conclude on the 22nd. Our local BP gas station donated four $25 gift cards to be used for prizes. Hanousek also created a Halloween Guessing Jar with 33 patrons participating and there were 17 participants in the Fall Photo Contest. Director Bailey attended several events virtually including the Association for Rural and Small Libraries Conference and DPI’s New Director Bootcamp. She met with a contractor to obtain a bid for work in the Children’s Library (paid for by the Friends) and attended several virtual and in-person meetings. Hanousek attended four webinars in October. Dave Kreklow attended several continuing education opportunities in 2020.
Village Meeting held November 9, 2020 - The 2021 Library Budget was reviewed and approved.
Friends of the Library Meeting November 3, 2020 - Ashley Zembrycki secured an author from England to hold an author visit virtually. The Friends put together a membership gift basket. Members that pay their yearly dues by end of December can win this lovely basket. The Friends created a new membership flyer and are working on plans for “Eva Day,” to celebrate Eva’s retirement.
Closed Session (Discussion and/or Possible Action) - Roll Call; President Koopmans made a motion at 6:18 PM for the Board to convene into Closed Session in accordance with Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), Miller seconded; Motion carried. Following discussion, Mueller made a motion to return to Open Session at 6:28 PM, seconded by Miller; Motion carried.
Following Closed Session, Koopmans made a motion to update the position description as recommended by Director Bailey and amend the compensation in recognition of service performed; Miller seconded; Motion carried.
1. Discuss/Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the October vouchers was made by Miller, seconded by Visger; Motion carried.
2. Discuss/update on outdoor area grading & paving - The grading is done and looks great. The paving will be completed soon.
3. Discuss “Eva Day” to be held Tuesday, December 15th - To celebrate Eva’s 18 years of service and retirement, “Eva Day” will be held at the library on December 15th. There will be a basket for cards. For safety, social distancing and capacity will be monitored and there will be no food or refreshments.
4. Discuss Strategic Plan: How has COVID-19 affected our plan? The plan is on target and the only items that COVID has changed is programming. Many of the programs are now held virtually. The Strategic Plan is our compass, it is important to review and reflect on its progress.
5. Discuss Agenda items for next meeting on December 8, 2020 - Business Agenda items 1 and 3 carried over, policy review will be added, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 6:55 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.