POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 6:00pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:00 P.M. by President Jeanne Mutchler. Attending the meeting were Board Members Jeanne Mutchler, Jason Koopmans, Caryn Stone, Matt Shappell, Teri Fiori, Linda Ross, and Ashley Zembrycki. Absent was Kelly Palmer. Director Lindsey Ganz was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice- Yes
Introduction of guest(s) - None
Public Comments – None
Adoption of Agenda – A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Shappell; Motion Carried.
Approval of Minutes from September 11, 2018 - A motion to adopt the September Meeting Minutes made by Fiori, seconded by Koopmans; Motion Carried.
Trustee Training – Ross reported on her training, Social Media - Need to make libraries important and make people feel emotional about them. 71% use Facebook and 92% use email. Libraries can be an Economic driver in a community and for literacy. Suggestions would be to categorize email addresses; make content exciting; stay on message.
Treasurer’s Report - The balance in the Library checking account was $2,147.99 as of September 30, 2018 and the SCLS Foundation account balance was $1,535.41 as of August 31, 2018.
Current Budget Review – Presented by Director Ganz and is on track.
Director’s Report – Director Ganz is looking into a grant, has moved magazines to the reading room, consolidated the paperbacks, and the “spinner’ per our meeting last month. Good attendance for the guest speaker, Jessie Garcia. Columbia County approved the 3% increase we requested. Good representation from county libraries made a good impression on the county board. President Mutchler attended the Library staff meeting and found it informative and helpful.
Updates on Village Board Meeting – Fiori reported that the Village was looking into dog park issue at Jamieson and is still considering contracting out EMS services. There’s been a decrease garbage pickup and an increase in sewer charges.
Friends of the Library Report – Director Ganz attended, is working on a framed announcement board to keep updated information for patrons. They are still working on getting a guest speaker and have been purchasing books with their gift. There are several fundraisers coming up and there are working on the reading buddy program for the 4K level.
Budget Committee Report – No meeting.
- Approval of vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the September vouchers was made by Fiori, seconded by Ross; Motion Carried.
- Discuss/ consider closing for holiday - A motion to approve closing for Sat. Dec. 22nd was made by Mutchler, seconded by Zembrycki; Motion Carried.
- Discuss/ consider employee evaluation. Asked members to review in connection with job description and discuss at next meeting.
- Discuss/ consider paperless options - Koopmans talked to Martin, cost is $600/year for personal emails. Director Ganz suggested using Google accounts and offered to look into that.
- Discuss/ consider copier replacement – The Board was given a comparison chart between purchase and lease of a new copier.Board recommended that Director Ganz get at least one more bid.
- Discuss/ consider 2019 Budget – Only changes are to income and insurance.A motion to approve proposed budget was made by Mutchler, seconded by Koopmans; Motion Carried.
- Discuss Agenda items for next meeting on Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
Adjournment – Meeting adjourned at 7:30 P.M.
Respectively submitted by Caryn Stone.