POYNETTE AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, September 14, 2021, at 6:00 pm
Poynette Area Public Library
Call to Order and Roll Call - The meeting was called to order at 6:01 PM by President Jason Koopmans.
Attending the meeting were Board Members Jason Koopmans, Dave Tessmer, Joni DeYoung, Linda Ross, and Meghan Visger. Board Member Matt Shappell and Darcy Miller attended virtually. Library Director Jodi Bailey was also present.
Certification of Proper Notice - Yes
Guests are Welcome to Attend - No Guests in attendance.
Public Comments - No comments.
Adoption of Agenda - A motion to adopt the agenda was made by Ross, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from August 10, 2021 Meeting - A motion to adopt the August meeting minutes was made by DeYoung, seconded by Koopmans; Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report Presented by Treasurer Linda Ross - The library checking account at Hometown Bank has a balance of $4,352.54 as of August 31, 2021. The SCLS Foundation account has a balance of $2,049.65 as of August 31, 2021.
Current Budget Review - Director Bailey presented the budget.
Director’s Report - The staff has been planning fall programming. Kelly Anderson took on new responsibilities as the Adult Services Program Coordinator. The School District’s Individual Reading
Program and Summer Reading Program wrapped up in August with a Community Quest Scavenger Hunt. Volunteers from the Friends of the Poynette Library transported books in support of Pioneer Place outreach. Director Bailey and Katy Hanousek attended several Library meetings, trainings, webinars, and Village Board meetings throughout the month.
Village of Poynette Meeting Update - Board Member DeYoung shared that there will be a Fall Clean-Up
Day on October 23rd. The new Village Administrator, Craig Malin, began meeting with all board members and is beginning to work on the 2022 Budget.
Friends of the Library Report – The Friends elected their Board officers and then they hosted a short program afterwards. The Friends are helping Director Bailey plan the 80th Anniversary Open House.
Trustee Training by Darcy Miller - Board Member Miller presented some information about Library
EcoSystem after attending a webinar. The Public Library EcoSystem includes: the State Library Agency (DLT), State Statutes, COLAND, Regional Public Library Systems, Local Governments (Counties, Cities, Villages, Towns, Tribes), Library Boards, Library Directors and Staff, Library Friends, Foundations, and the Community.
1. Discuss/Approval of Vouchers for Library - A motion to approve the September vouchers as presented was made by Ross, seconded by DeYoung; Motion carried.
2. Budget Committee Update - Director Bailey has decided to eliminate music (CDs) due to lack of circulation, add funds for Launchpads in case the library does not get awarded grant funds and plans on moving money from the contingency fund for proposed use in 2022 (i.e., solar and/or Bookmobile).
3. Discuss PAPL’s 80th Anniversary Open House - Director Bailey shared the committee is meeting on September 15th. There are several people who offered to help. The celebration will be Friday, October 15th. There will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the pergola beginning at 6:00 PM.
4. Discuss/consider being “Fines Free” for children’s materials & reinstating adult fines - Director Bailey was considering reinstating adult fines. She proposed going fines-free for children and teen materials (seniors are already fines-free). There will still be charges for lost and for damaged items. After some discussion, the Board proposed going fines-free for all patrons. President Koopmans made a motion to adopt a formal policy to be fines-free for all, Ross seconded; Motion carried.
5. Discuss/consider Library solar project - Board Member Tessmer requested a solar project work kit. He’d like to see some of the contingency funds used for this project. The Solar Committee is investigating possible grant opportunities.
6. Discuss/consider Bookmobile for future Library outreach - Director Bailey shared the committee has several outreach ideas. They plan to apply for grant opportunities and then will work on budgeting for future maintenance costs.
7. Discuss Agenda items for the next meeting on October 12, 2021 - Business Agenda items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 will carry over, Director evaluation materials will be distributed, as well as any items that may arise in the meantime.
Adjournment - The meeting adjourned at 6:53 PM.
Respectively submitted by Meghan Visger.